What is the best, most fabulous, wonderful Christmas gift you ever received? I’ve received beautifully wrapped gold jewelry from my husband. I’ve received homemade Christmas ornaments from my kids. (Thank you, teachers!). I’ve received countless homemade goodies from precious church people. All of these gifts have meant something to me. But by far, the best gift I ever received was in the fall of 1972 when I received the incomparable gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. That gift changed my life forever. Jesus is the Master Gift Giver. His gifts are never returned or abandoned in the pile of Christmas wrapping. His gifts are priceless. His gifts have purpose. The gifts we receive in Christ are riches beyond measure! His gifts have everything we need for life and godliness. These are just a few of the gifts we receive in Christ:
- He has given us forgiveness and righteousness: Our sins are forgiven, and we are made righteous through Christ. (Rom. 5:1). We cannot save ourselves. Try as we might to change ourselves, we just cannot. In Christ, we are forgiven and made righteous, not by what we do but by what He has done for us.
- He has given us shame-free living. Some of the first weight you need to lose is the weight of sin and shame you’ve been carrying way too long. We are free from condemnation. (Rom. 8:1). Christ does not condemn us, so why do we continue to condemn ourselves?
- He has given us His Holy Spirit. We have the gift of the Holy Spirit so we may receive wise counsel and understand the things of God. (I Cor. 2:12). Jesus said, “and I will ask the Father, and he will give you another counselor to be with you forever – the Spirit of truth. And you will know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.” (John 14:16 NIV)
- He has given us His Mind. We have been given the mind of Christ. (I. Cor. 2:16). Our thoughts are the boss of us. We no longer have to be tormented by our thought life that takes us over with anxiety and worry. He can transform our minds with His Word, and we can experience Christ like thinking and experience real peace of mind.
- He has given us His Peace. Nobody does Peace like Jesus. “My peace I give you, not as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27 NIV)
- He has given us His Power. Jesus told His disciples, “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these.” (John 14:12 NIV). The reason this gift is so critical is that the same power that raised Christ from the dead is the power that will bring about the change in your life.
- He has given us His Good Name. In His name is all authority in heaven and on earth. “I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name, until now you have not asked for anything. Ask, and you will receive, and you will be complete.” (John 16:23 NIV). I am definitely a namedropper when it comes to Jesus.
Jesus wants to change your life forever. This change will not be temporary. Jesus wants to lead us in the way everlasting. Through these wonderful gifts, He will help you lose the weight and keep it off. He is the Master Gift Giver. I pray this Christmas you receive all He has for you – starting with Himself.
Happy Healthy Christmas
Vicki Heath is the National Director of First Place 4 Health. Vicki is a certified fitness instructor for the American Council on Exercise, a certified life coach and Wellness Coordinator for her church in Edisto Beach, SC. Vicki is an author of the books Don’t Quit Get Fit and Wellness Journey of a Lifetime. She has led a successful First Place 4 Health ministry in her church for twenty years. Vicki is passionate about Christ and has a desire to help others understand the value of caring for their bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit. Vicki is a pastor’s wife and mother of four wonderful children and six grandchildren. She strives to bring others into the Kingdom through health and wellness.