You will be with child and will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. LUKE 1:31
When our son, John, was born, I wanted to name him John Talton Lewis Jr., after his daddy. His daddy had always gone by Johnny, so we decided to call our little boy John. When John grew up and married Lisa, their first child was a boy, and they named him John Talton Lewis, III, and called him Tal to differentiate between Johnny and John.
Have you ever thought about the fact that God Our Father chose the name for His only Son Jesus? The angel was only a messenger delivering the news from God to Mary. Names are as important today as they were at the time Jesus was born. I knew a little boy named Dan McGrew who spent his childhood struggling to overcome the negative connotation of his name. As believers, we have been adopted into the family of God because of the sacrifice Jesus made when He died on the cross atCalvary. There never will be a name quite as special as the name Jesus. The Christmas season is a time when the world’s eyes and ears are open to the name of Jesus. Christmas carols play in the shopping malls, and cards, wrapping paper and gifts point to the “reason for the season.” This year, let’s think of ways we can bring honor to our “family name” of Jesus. Here are a few things we could do:
- Bring joy to someone in a nursing home by giving him or her the gift of time.
- Take your kids to deliver gifts to a family who needs them.
- Invite a lost friend or someone who is lonely to go with you to a Christmas celebration at church.
- Invite a single friend, or someone who would spend Christmas alone to spend Christmas with your family.
- Encourage your family to each give an amount to world missions that is greater than they spend on any single gift for each other.
- Show Christ’s love to every cashier you encounter this season.
- Write a note to someone in your life who has impacted your Christian growth.
The crass commercialism of Christmas can be used as a time for those of us in the family of God to make a real difference in our world. Will we do it?
Prayer: Dear Lord, I pray that this Christmas season will find me showing Your love to everyone I meet. Show me ways to impact my world by bringing honor to Your precious name. Thank You for adopting me into Your family. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Journal: What specific things do you plan to do this Christmas season to bring honor to the name of Jesus?
Carole Lewis, FP4H National Director Emeritus