Over the past ten years, I learned to admire and respect my Live It Tracker. Now old friends, I realized when I am honest with my tracking, I lose weight more consistently. The road has been rocky. At one point we broke up, when I tired of the constant need to fill in the blanks or update my App. After reaching my healthy goal, I convinced myself I no longer needed the accountability. The weight on the scale told a different story. Without the tracker, I gained weight creeping slowly away from my healthy goal. For long lasting success, I need the honest feedback my tracker reveals.
I ask my group members to fill out a paper Live It Tracker for a minimum of two weeks in their first session. The paper tracker is a great tool for teaching people the Live It plan. I need accountability too as a leader, so I ask a group member to review my tracker.
Transform MyFitnessPal into a Live It Tracker. The MyFitnessPal App provides easy access to nutritional information that helps us make the best choices. However, I missed the daily assessment of my food choices in the Live It Food Plan, so I transformed MyFitnessPal into the Live It Tracker. I changed the meal settings to display Fruit, Vegetables, Grains, Lean Protein, Dairy, and Healthy Oils instead of Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack. To change your food diary settings, log on to MyFitnessPal through a browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari). The mobile app on a device, such as a phone or tablet, does not have the option to change your diary settings. Here are step-by-step directions:
- Go to www.MyfitnessPal.com and Log In with your password.
- Click on Settings on the bottom blue row.
- Click on Diary Settings.
- Change Meal Names from the default: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack to Fruit, Vegetables, Grains, Lean Protein, Dairy, and Healthy Oils.
I also include the portion and approximate calorie range in my meal names. The following is based on 1300-1400 calories recommended amount for each food group.
- Fruit (1.5-2 cups) 140-160c
- Vegetables (1.5-2 cups) 120c
- Grains (5 oz) 320-400c
- Meat & Beans (4 oz) 240c
- Milk (2-3 cups) 270-300c
- Healthy Oils (4 tsp) 180c
Print Your MyFitness Pal Food Diary. Turning in your tracker at your weekly meeting is an important step in accountability. The following are directions for printing your weekly food and exercise diary from MyFitnessPal:
- Scroll to the bottom of the Diary Screen.
- Click on View Full Report (Printable).
- Select the From Date and To Date.
- Click on Change Report on the right.
- To print or save as a PDF, click your right mouse button.
- Click Print (To save as PDF, Click Change Your Printer, select Print as PDF and click Save).
Your Challenge: Embrace a healthier relationship with your tracker. Cease the squabbling and consider your tracker a companion, helping you fight your battles. Seek the Lord for a change of heart. My daily prayer, “Lord, help me want to want to track.”