A snack should be small—something to give you energy and prevent you from getting too hungry before your next meal. It’s important to have a balanced snack with a little protein and some carbs, so that you stay fueled and focused on your day. Here are seven healthy snacks that fit the bill:
- Cut an apple into bite-sized pieces and add them to one-half cup low-fat cottage cheese. Sprinkle one tablespoon chopped walnuts or pecans (and a little honey if you like it a little sweeter).
- Slice a whole grain pita into wedges and serve with hummus and a handful of fresh berries on the side.
- Combine one cup plain low-fat yogurt with one-half cup berries, and one-quarter cup chopped nuts. Add honey, if desired.
- Serve olives and marinated red peppers with a piece of warm whole grain bread.
- Sliced tomato with a sprinkle of feta and olive oil.
- Peanut butter/Banana Sandwiches – Slice banana and spread with peanut butter. Top with another slice of banana.
Find more recipes and healthy cooking tips in Lisa’s cookbook, Healthy Happy Cooking, available in the online store.