- 2 medium poblano peppers
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ cups green beans, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (can use frozen, thawed)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1 ½ cups corn, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
To roast poblanos: Position oven rack about 5 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler. Line the broiler pan with foil. Broil whole poblanos, turning once, until starting to blacken, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper bag and let steam to loosen skins, about 10 minutes. When the poblanos are cool enough to handle, peel, seed, stem and coarsely chop; set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium and add onion, bell pepper, green beans and garlic. Cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes and the chopped poblanos; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the reserved chicken and juices, chard (or spinach) and corn; return to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes more to heat through and blend flavors.
Top each portion with 1 tablespoon each cilantro and lime juice; serve with lime wedges. Serves 8
To make ahead: Prepare through Step 4 and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months; add cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
Nutrition Information (Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups): Per Serving: 213 calories; protein 16.6g; carbohydrates 24.9g; dietary fiber 5.9g; sugars 6.7g; fat 6.4g; saturated fat 1.3g; cholesterol 39mg; vitamin a iu 2806.4IU; vitamin c 72.3mg; folate 44.5mcg; calcium 79mg; iron 2.8mg; magnesium 72.2mg; potassium 778.5mg; sodium 385.5mg; thiamin 0.5mg.