Leading a Group
#1 Join God in His plan
Enthusiasm is the primary qualification for becoming a First Place for Health group leader. The ministry is a Biblically based and medically trustworthy wellness program used as a discipleship model and an outreach tool. Meetings can be held virtually, in churches, homes, neighborhood centers, campuses, hospitals or the workplace.
While leaders are not required to be at their goal weight before leading a class, they should be committed to following the program and moving toward a healthy weight as an example to the group.
Spend time praying and studying God’s Word. God’s timing is perfect.
The My Place Leader’s Kit contains everything you need to confidently lead your group.
- The My Place for Leadership, your essential guide to lead your group in a transformative time of learning and genuine community. We’ve designed it to be simple and easy to follow with practical lesson plans, document samples, and reproducible forms.
- The Digital Downloads provide content and videos to use during your meetings.
- The Bible study, Seek God First is included in you Leader Kit. For each session, the leader will need to choose a new Bible study for the group. Check our online store for the bible studies available.
- The My Place Member Kit, everything a member needs to get started.
Once you know the where and when of your First Place for Health group(s) and have scheduled your informational meeting, you can begin publicizing your group. Get creative! My Place for Leadership is full of tips on how to get the word out. Be sure and register your group on the First Place for Health website. Register your group.
Frequently Asked Questions
As a First Place for Health leader, you have the awesome privilege to witness lives radically changed as your members learn what it means to give Christ first place emotionally, spiritually, mentally and physically. Your class members will lose weight and learn how to exercise, but the deepest life change can occur when Jesus Christ becomes Lord in their lives.
Anyone willing to allow Christ to lead them, and can lead a First Place for Health group. It’s vital to remember that Jesus is the real leader of “your” group. “‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty” (Zechariah 4:6). Don’t allow the enemy to discourage your desire to follow God’s promptings. Jesus uses ordinary people to do the extraordinary. You can confidently say, “I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13, New Living Translation).
- The My Place Leader’s Kit contains everything you need to confidently lead your group.
- Check out the Leader portion of our website for resources to help you sustain a thriving group.
- Join with others at our Events both in person and virtually.
- Recordings of our past Webinars can be found on our YouTube Channel.
- Support is also available through First Place for Health Membership subscriptions. There is a level of Membership to fit wherever you are on your journey.
When you have a leader and a group of individuals interested in starting the program, each new member will need the My Place Member’s Kit. We recommend you begin with the default Bible study, Seek God First. Member’s Kit is a one-time purchase and contains everything the individual members in your group need to succeed. Each returning member will need the First Place for Health Bible study selected for the upcoming session.
The most successful ministries plan for future expenses. Consider charging individuals an additional administration fee per 9-week session of $10-20. Future expenses might include: a reliable scale for weigh-ins, leader materials, incentive awards, victory celebrations, leadership training, and other miscellaneous items used during the meetings. Some groups may want to consider adding childcare and scholarship costs to their program as well. If you are leading a group at your church, consult with your pastor or other church officials to determine the registration fee to be collected from each member.
To enhance the success of each member’s (and leader’s) First Place for Health experience, members are encouraged to register for our free Membership Level on the My Place for Health website. As a free Level One member, they can subscribe to the First Place for Health newsletter, log their measurements, weights, and other personal information. This valuable online resource supplements learning, provides resources, healthy recipes, and inspires members to keep Christ in first place. Subscribe as a My Place for Health Member!