It’s been awhile since I had to buy “back to school” clothes. But something just clicks in me this time of year to check out the weekly mail advertisements for backpacks and athletic shoes. School starts in a few weeks and many of you will be starting back, maybe not to school, but back to your focused work for the kingdom. I’m still going to invest in a fall wardrobe, but of a different nature. The Bible tells us in Ephesians 6:11-17 that the well-dressed person has some basic wardrobe items that are “must-haves”.
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
There are at least three ways this amour will be useful: when you are seeking release from Satan’s dominion in an area of your life, when you are under attack from the enemy and when you attack the enemy on behalf of someone else in prayer. Outfit yourself daily in these six accessory items and you will be prepared for anything!
- Helmet of Salvation– this is placed on your head for a reason—to remind you to give a grateful verbal response to God for saving you! Praise him right now that your name is written in the Lamb’s book of life and that your future is secure in heaven. Praise him that the helmet covers your mind and gives you the mind of Christ.
- Breastplate of Righteousness– this is God’s protection over our most vulnerable organ—the heart. It is the wellspring of life and the seat of who we are. I use this breastplate to ask God to search my heart for any sin, and then I confess and claim Christ’s righteousness.
- Belt of Truth– we need to gird ourselves tightly around the waist with the belt of truth every day. This belt reminds me to be true to my convictions and to hold to God’s truth. It helps me master my emotions so that my feelings will not control my decisions; instead I will be controlled by God’s Word, the truth.
- Sword of the Spirit– God’s Word is my textbook for life. Everything I need for life and godliness is found in His Word. I take up the sword daily in my right hand. It is an offensive weapon against the devil and his schemes.
- Shield of Faith– in my left hand I hold up the shield of faith. When the fiery arrows come—and they will—the shield, if lifted up, will quench the fiery darts. It also reminds me that I do not have to be paralyzed with fear. I can walk in faith and claim the victory God has for me in Christ Jesus.
- Sandals of the Gospel of Peace– I have to admit I am a shoe girl. I love these sandals because they have supernatural power to prepare me to spread the gospel. The shoes that carry the kid carry the gospel. We need to shod our feet with readiness – readiness to share the gospel with whomever the Lord places in our paths this fall.
They are already available to you as a gift form our Lord. Get dressed – school is starting and we are ready!