My friend, Vicky Curry, met me in the social hall at church with a pile of women’s magazines. “Help me pick out a diet.” This was a ritual for her every January; looking through magazines, hoping to find the perfect magic diet that would finally work. “How about you try something new?” I shared with her about first place for health. What makes fp4h different then all the others filling the magazines in January? One word. Jesus. Faith in Christ changes everything. Here’s why: Jesus made many statements about himself, but these seven are considered the greatest I AM statements. Vicky Curry and I had much in common: never losing the weight. These are the faith in Jesus statements that changed everything for me and finally gave me what was missing in my health journey.
- “I am the bread of life.” (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51) Jesus can satisfy as nothing else you have ever eaten, neither savory nor sweet. He fills a place in the soul that is designed just for Him. There is no substitute. All that mindless eating was finally under control.
- “I am the light of the world.” (John 8:12) Sometimes this world can be a dark place, hard to navigate. It’s the darkness that can sometime drive us to an unhealthy relationship with food. He drives away the darkness, shines His brightness into our lives and brings fresh hope so we can finally see the way to health and wellness.
- “I am the door of the sheep.” (John 10:7,9) I love this picture of Jesus shepherding me into the fold and closing the gate behind me. Closing the door to the unhealthy influences that plagued me for so many years.
- “I am the resurrection and the life.” (John 11:25) Death is not final for those in Christ. He promises a home in heaven.
- “I am the good shepherd.” (John 10:11, 14) Fear can be paralyzing, even fear of failing, once again, to lose weight. Jesus promises to care and guide us to victory when we place our faith in Him. Faith is the victory that overcomes the world!
- “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” (John 14:6) Jesus is the source of all truth. That is a strong indicator that He will show us the truth about ourselves, about trusting Him and not food.
- “I am the true vine.” (John 15:1, 5) He teaches us the importance of being connected to Him, the importance of being connected to others and importance of growing. He will produce much fruit in our lives. This not only helps me stay committed on my health journey, He helps me draw others to Him as they see the good works He is accomplishing through and in me.
Vicky Curry threw away the magazines and joined my First Place for Health class. She lost 50 pounds, started exercising, and eventually became my co-leader. Faith changes everything. Could this be what is missing for you? Check out our up coming classes, or read Helen’s article and start one!
Vicki Heath is the National Director of First Place for Health. Vicki is a certified fitness instructor for the American Council on Exercise, a certified life coach and Wellness Coordinator for her church in Edisto Beach, SC. Vicki is an author of the books Don’t Quit Get Fit, Wellness Journey of a Lifetime and My First Place. She strives to bring others into the Kingdom through health and wellness.
We have all we need for a full, good and healthy life right in front of our noses! We serve a Mighty God, a loving caring God who sent us a Saviour from all that is dark and scary in this world. Spares us from everything. We just need to surrender everything to Him and then Trust Him! Happy New Year ♡ Praying God leads more people to the Light and to FP4H.